Wednesday 19 December 2012

The Menace Called New Year Resolutions

It’s that time of the year when friends and family look through their life and because they regret one or more of the steps they took during the course of the year, they draw up a list of things they would like to change or implement in the new year under the heading “My New Year Resolutions”. Let me start by plainly declaring that I’m not criticizing those that make New Year Resolutions, rather, it is the motive behind it and the captive life it offers it’s victims that I speak against. More often than not, it is the heart behind such resolutions that I have issues with.
Before you make that New Year Resolution, have you stopped to think about what facilitated such erroneous move you made in the concluding year? Do you really think it was because you never really included it as a resolution the previous year that brought about such error? Havent you heard “…it is not of him that willeth nor of him that runneth, but of the Lord that showeth mercy…?”, “…not by power, not be might, but by my Spirit saith the Lord…?”, these should tell you that your will-power alone cannot successfully guarantee adherence to a decision made especially if it is for the progress of a life. Your will-power is not enough to change a life for the better.
Many have been held captive by the menace called New Year Resolution. Imagine one with a resolution to make up to 2000friends on Facebook and over a thousand followers on Twitter. And I ask myself, to what end is this kind of New Year Resolution?
More often than not, our New Year Resolutions are fuelled by the desire to meet up to a standard, be like a friend/colleague of ours or most importantly, acquire possessions for our own interests.
If at all you have to make New Year Resolutions, let them be credible and then commit it into the hands of the Lord and ask for Grace to successfully accomplish them.
For me, I dont do New Year Resolutions. I just commit my ways and life into the hands of the Creator daily, I live by His percepts, principles and instructions...and I can tell you it is the sweetest thing you can ever do...the loveliest decision you can ever make.

No comments:

Post a Comment